Distance Master's Degree (Literature-Based)
Online lectures and literature-based research thesis
Students unable to relocate to Lawrence, Kansas, and without access to a lab, seeking advanced training for academic and/or professional advancement (e.g., Ph.D. programs, admissions to profesional health science programs).
- Degree(s): Must have a bachelors or master's degree in biology, chemistry, pharmacology, toxicology, or other related disciplines
- GPA Requirement: Minimum of 3.0 required
Special attention given to grades in relevant science courses such as cellular/molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, toxicology, statistics, etc.
- English Language Proficiency Requirements:
- Students who are non-native English speakers, must demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing and listening via English Proficiency Scores from TOEFL, IELTS or PTE tests
- See KU's English Proficiency Requirements for detailed information, including minimum score requirements.
- TOEFL Code: 6871-30
- Undergraduate Research Experience: Applicants are strongly encouraged to gain undergraduate research experience.
30 total credit hours (grade of C or better, with overall GPA of at least 3.0)
- 19 credit hours - Core coursework in pharmacology, toxicology, statistics and scientific ethics
- 7 credit hours - Additional required courses and electives
- 4 credit hours - Literature-based research thesis
- Student and advisor select a literature thesis topic
- Proposal reviewed by a three-member committee (advisor and two additional faculty members)
- Thesis earns passing grade or student gets feedback and has at least one month to resubmit
- Student presents final oral defense by video conference to department and committee
- Student answers questions from the advisory committee
- Online courses are designed to be completed in eight weeks (w/exception of literature research proposal)
- Earliest possible program completion: two years/24 months
- Students urged to complete the program within four years of admission to maintain momentum and focus
- Three credit hours per calendar year required to remain in good standing. Failure to do so will require re-admittance.
- Degree must be completed within 10 years from initial enrollment per KU policy
Master's students are responsible for their own tuition & fees.
For information about federal financial aid, visit KU Financial Aid & Scholarships.