Distance Master's Degree (Lab-Based)
Online lectures and hands-on research training in laboratory at an approved distance site. Research-based thesis.
Students unable to relocate to Lawrence, Kansas, seeking advanced training and research experience for career advancement in the biotech and pharmaceutical industry. Requires access to research facilities (i.e., company or university research labs or computational facilities) at their home locale that would enable the generation of novel data for a Laboratory-based M.S. thesis
- Degree(s): Must have a Bachelors or Master's degree in biology, chemistry, pharmacology, toxicology or other related disciplines.
- GPA Requirement: Minimum of 3.0 required
Special attention given to grades in relevant science courses such as cellular/molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, toxicology, statistics, etc.
- English Language Proficiency Requirements:
- Students who are non-native English speakers must demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing and listening via English Proficiency Scores from the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE test
- See KU's English Proficiency Requirements for detailed information, including minimum score requirements.
- Request that your testing agency send official English Language Proficiency scores directly to KU (Code: 6871-30)
- Undergraduate Research Experience: Applicants are strongly encouraged to gain undergraduate research experience before applying to our program.
- 16 credit hours - Core coursework in pharmacology, toxicology, statistics and scientific ethics
- 14 credit hours - Research and thesis supervision
- Thesis committee formed
- Thesis proposal written and reviewed by committee
- Faculty advisor and the thesis committee monitor progression of research project and final thesis presentation/defense
- Draft research proposal and presentation completed by end of second semester
- Online courses are designed to be completed in eight weeks (w/exception of literature research proposal)
- Earliest possible program completion: two years
- Students urged to complete the program within four years of admission to maintain momentum and focus
- Three credit hours per calendar year required to remain in good standing. Failure to do so will require re-admittance.
- Degree must be completed within 10 years from initial enrollment per KU policy
Master's students are responsible for their own tuition & fees.
For information about federal financial aid, visit KU Financial Aid & Scholarships.